Thursday 26 February 2009

Quite Unbelievable

I have just read an article in the Daily Mail (how very middle England of me?!) regarding the war in Afghanistan. British intelligence has reported that they have heard radio "chatter" between members of the Taliban who have Yorkshire and West Midlands accents. These men are being referred to in the media as "disaffected muslims".

Has this country of ours really now got to the stage of supporting these muslim children from birth onwards, only to see them become "disaffected" in later life, so they fuck off over to Afghanistan and shoot soldiers from the very country that they legally belong to????!

This is a cause of great concern for me. Best guess is that there are currently approximately 2.4 Million muslims living in the United Kingdom. Now I realise that the number of those muslims who are "disaffected" is a difficult one to gauge, but I think we can assume that it is a very very low number. I don't know much about the muslim religion, but I would love to. What is it about muslims that causes a minority to be so angry with the land of their birth that they feel compelled to travel thousands of miles to fight?

I am singling out muslims here, but I know other religions have extremists, too - such as islam. I suppose the point i'm trying to make is that you don't hear much about Christian extremists. Yes, there was an incident in Paris surrounding "The Last Temptation Of Christ" in 1988, but before that, you're looking at centuries ago to find evidence of Christians being uber-pissed off.

So why are muslims and islamists so unhappy? I don't know, but i am sure that learning about the religion could only help me understand.
Blogged with the Flock Browser