Monday 6 April 2009

Showing Pink

So - I was a pink lady. I wore a pink jacket, a pink neck-scarf and had another neck scarf tied around my head (I mustn't have looked enough of a tit without it). My lovely wife's works do was a great night out. Over the last 4 years, I've got to know a lot of the people she works with and they are mostly all so lovely.

Friday night was the last of her works' functions due to re-location, so it was a sad occasion. Well - it was for me. In their flourishes of youth, they really didn't seem that arsed that it was the last one. Maybe I reminisce too much. I often wonder if I am alone in harking back to my childhood and remembering it with such affection. Maybe in years to come, my wife's friends will look back and remember the many social occasions that they attended with fondness. Right now, they are too busy with the whole sex'n'drugs'rock'n'roll thing.

Speaking of reminiscing, my formative years as a child were spent roaming the highways and byways of Skelmersdale New Town. I remember it being all green and open, interspersed with council estates, but generally a nice place to grow up. Being realistic, it probably wasn't that good. Parts of Skelmersdale are a bit of a shit hole these days, but I remember them in a totally different light. They probably were a shit hole back then, too, but it was where I grew up. It was where my friends were, and as such, it will always be a special place to me.

You know pensioners who drive, well - when should they stop? You can drive in the UK for as long as your health allows you to, but is that really the safest thing? Research shows that drivers over the age of 55 are, on average, 22% slower to react than 30 year old drivers. Imagine how much that decreases with drivers aged 70 and over. Old drivers panic too much, and generally seem to be intimidated, and sometimes, they look like they are petrified when on the road. I think that once you reach a certain age you should have to prove that you still have the ability to react quickly and safely in certain situations. The test wouldn't necessarily have to take place behind the wheel. They could be made to watch a video and press buttons when certain events occur.

I have done over 200 "tweets" on twitter now, and I still love it. www.twitter.com/adum is me. I have tweeted at comedy Dave from the Chris Moyles breakfast show on Radio1 this evening, and at the lovely Lily Rose Allen. Neither of them responded to me, but I love the fact that my comments have appeared on their computer screens. It makes me feel artificially important.

Christian O'Connell is on Absolute Radio now, which signifies I have just one hour left, and my god I'm ready for some time off. I can't wait to get home, and have a proper cup of tea (rather than the bizarre fluid served by our machine in work), some crunchy nutty corn flakes, and maybe a bacon on toast chaser! I'm working 4 nights in a row from Friday - right over the Easter weekend. Sorry Jesus (and Debbie, of course). However, due to the T's and C's of my contract, I get paid an enhanced rate of overtime for working over Easter, so the eggs are on me!

I was very very pleased with the football results yesterday. Our 4-0 win over Wigan was superb, but Man United knocking them horrible scousers off the top of the table was the cherry on the cake. A commentator on sultana after the Liverpool game on Saturday said that their win over Fulham put them "temporarily at the top of the table". That amused me.

One more thing before I stop typing. In work, lots of the people with varying levels of physical ability have special chairs upon which they attach signs imploring people not to adjust them, etc. One I saw yesterday read "Do not remove or adjust Audrey Bridson". The lack of full stop really made me chuckle.

Yours, trying to decide if i'm a human or a dancer......