Sunday 12 April 2009

Getting Old?

Yesterday (the 11th) was my third wedding anniversary. I'm really really proud to call Debbie my wife and to this day, I still don't know why she ever bothered with me!

I am 35 years old in June, and I'm starting to feel it. Maybe not so much physically, but mentally. I find that more and more, I am becoming less tolerant. I have spoken before about how irritated I can get behind the wheel. Todays irritant for me is greeting cards. I am very very pleased that my lovely wife and I decided not to get wedding anniversary cards for each other. I love her dearly, and she knows that, so I don't see the need to buy a piece of card to prove it to her.

That got me to thinking. I think I might set up a "justgiving" account, and ask anyone who ever feels the need to send me a card, to donate to charity using that instead. The amount doesn't matter. 50p, a pound, whatever they would normally pay for a card, give it to charity rather than going to the inconvenience of purchasing the card, writing it, only for me to read it and discard it. It seems utterly pointless to me, whereas giving money to a charity close to my heart makes everyone happy.

We stayed over at my sister and brother in law's during the week that just passed. I can't remember the last time we stayed there, and it was very nice indeed! They have just got a new laptop and wireless printer, so I offered to set it up and configure it for them. It took the best part of a full day to do, but I was pleased to see it working for them, and hopefully it will do so for many years to come!

I recently mentioned a presentation that I made to some work people. I was double nervous about it. Remember? Well - I found a mail in my inbox at work from my boss congratulating me on the feedback that he'd received about it, and I have won a recognition award for going outside my comfort zone. A bottle of red is my prize. Nice one!

We are going away with my wifes family this coming weekend to celebrate the birthday of my wife, and sister in law. They are 3 years apart, but share the same birthday. Good eh? Their birthday is on Thursday 16th, and we're off to Center Parcs on the Friday until Monday. I am looking forward to it greatly.

I listened to Dusty Springfield in work tonight. I've never really taken the time to listen to some of her less popular tracks, and I was totally blown away by her. She truly was an awesome lady singer.

I downloaded a film to watch called The Night Porter, starring Dirk Bogarde, and Charlotte Rampling. I watched most of it this evening. I thought the film was really odd, the edge taken off only with the amount of nudity, and the stunning beauty of Charlotte Rampling. I sometimes think I should have been born 20 years before I was.

I have volunteered to help build an african themed garden at my childrens school in Skelmersdale. It's part of a community initiative at work, and their school happened to be one of the four projects chosen throughout the north-west. I'm not 100% sure why they need, or even if they want an african themed garden, but by christ they're going to get one. I was absolutely tickled with one of my friends suggestions that we should turn up with two tonnes of elephant crap, tip it onto the playground, and drive off. Voila! Instant African garden!

Bank Holidays are funny things. Working for a bank, as I do, you may be surprised to learn that bank's don't really have holidays. This internet thingy is a bummer for its 24 hour availability, as are cash machines, and them little machines at shops and petrol stations up and down the country in which you put your card, and type in your pin, and leave with your goods. All them things need looking after by banks. Specifically - me.

I have decided that I really like Colleen Rooney this evening. I read an article on the Daily Mail website about her, and she seems really nice and relatively down to earth. I LOVE how unashamedly scouse she is, in amongst the otherwise pretentious Cheshire set.

If I ever - no. When I win the lottery, I would consider moving to Cheshire. I know now that I won't fit in. I am not, and never will be comfortable around people with money. I know that I look like a poor person, and even if I had £10m in my arse pocket, I'd still feel awkward in that environment. So why not stay in an environment in which you are comfortable, I hear you say. Well - because I'd be mugged and/or killed.

I spoke recently about reminiscing and how memories are, more often than not, rose tinted. I posted an item to Facebook recently about two police officers who were viciously assaulted by a 29 year old, and an 18 year old man. I got a response from a bloke who used to live near my Dad's house apparantly trying to justify it as acceptable based on the G20 protester who died of a heart attack hours after being pushed to the ground by a police officer. I accept that (from the footage I've seen), the protester seemed to be dealt with a tad harshly, however - biting, kicking and punching a female police officer because she is trying to arrest someone who is in breach of a curfew cannot be acceptable. I mean - what the bloody hell is a 29 year old man doing with a curfew order anyway? Get a pissing job! Stop whatever benefits he's fraudulently claiming and see how long it takes him to find work then!

I've been typing for 40 minutes now. None of it has been particularly interesting. Sorry. I'm always torn, writing this. When I started it last year, it was for me, and nobody ever read it. I know that one or two people do read it now, so I almost feel that I have to cater for their reading pleasure, rather than use it as a release for my own head.

Yours, in the mix - 12" vinyl 1987 style.