Thursday 24 December 2009

Deep Breath

My god I'm tired.

It's Christmas Eve, and I've spent most of the evening tidying, cleaning and putting away. Oh, and a bit of ironing, too.  But - I think we're just about there.  All beds made up, rooms cleaned, playroom tidied and reddied  for action, be it from children, or dart playing adults.

I've also sorted out all the karaoke CD's that we own, and ensured that the machine is in working order.  I was given 18Gb of cd+g karaoke files from a bloke I work with, so those 6,500 tracks, along with the dozen or so cd's we have, should ensure a good selection of songs!

Today I have truly felt the responsibility of tomorrows meal.  My beautiful wife has offered to prepare the starter (the one thing I was worrying about), so that took a load off my mind.  I'm fairly happy that I can do the rest. It will take time, but we have that - there is no rush.

Today is the first anniversary of this blog!  12 whole months, 60 posts, and one follower.  I'm happy with that!  Happy birthday blog.

It seems wrong to me that people choose Christmas as a time to spend with families.  Every day should be equally as important for families and loved ones.  I want to remember every day for whatever it brings.  In an attempt to do it, I am going to try my hardest to take a photo every day during 2010 and upload them to my Picasa album. Should be interesting!

Today, I was reminded of how lucky I am. I remembered back to when I lived with Dad at the house on Abbeystead.  It was Christmas day, and his electricity went off.  Not because of a power cut or anything like that.  He'd had a pre-payment meter installed because he wasn't paying his bills, and he hadn't bought any credit for it.  He drank it instead.  I walked to the only place in Skem that was open that sold the little strips of magnetic paper, which would turn his power back on.  I bought a £5 credit. With my own money.  I thought little of it at the time, but looking back, it was so sad.  I really am so lucky.  Doesn't make me miss him any less though.

We have a busy Christmas coming up, and I know it's all going to go well.  2009 has been a tough year for many reasons, and I look forward to what 2010 has to bring.

I think it's only fitting to take time to remember those who aren't here to celebrate Christmas with us.

Happy Christmas Keith.










Happy Christmas Mum.
Happy Christmas Dad.











x