Friday 8 May 2009

Dear Luke

Yesterday, I stole a packet of your pom bears. I apologise for this, but hope you can forgive me when you learn that they were prawn cocktail flavour. I will replace them for you.

So - your are Luke. You are a lovely boy, with a very kind nature. The only time you ever have to be told off is when you are tired. Occasionally you become frustrated when you can't convey what you want to say to me or your mum, but that is understandable.

At the moment you love bob the builder, postman pat and thomas the tank engine. You dance (in your own special way) to the theme tunes to all these programs, and more. By dance, I mean you stand in front of the television, holding on to the unit, and bob up and down really quickly. Sometimes you sing along, too, which is lovely to listen to. Something else you do (or can't do) is nod your head. Your whole upper body has to move, which is really funny to see.

I love being your dad, Luke. You have brought so much pleasure into mine, and your mums lives. Your happiness is infectious.

You know, and can say the names of all your brothers and sisters, and have recently started calling Robert Robert instead of hello. He is pleased. Also, you have just started calling Grandma, mam-ma instead of Mum. If you had continued calling her Mum it could have proved to be quite embarrassing! I totally understand why you called her mum. It was because your mum calls her mum. It makes perfect sense.

Right now, I'm in work. it's 3:15 am and i am very very tired indeed. Yesterday, I applied for a job which, if i get it, will mean i work normal hours again. I hope i do get it, if nothing else, just to work the normal hours, which will mean I can spend more time at home with you and your mum.

Today is your 2nd Birthday. We are having a party for you on Saturday, and all your friends have been invited. Friends like Scarlett, Sam, Ellis and so many more. You like them all a lot. I am sure we will all have a great day, even if it rains!! I am going to build your trampoline and try and put a playhouse together for you tomorrow afternoon.

I like this "Dear Luke" thing. I will try and do it more often, I think. Who knows - it might even spawn a blog-ette of it's own.

I hope you don't think I'm "un-cool" for keeping a blog. I am going to seem so old to you by the time you come to read this. Trust me - I still feel your age inside. Getting old for me is a physical process and most definately not a mental one. I still like all the music that I liked as a child. I'm not sure I'll ever accept the fact that I am an adult. It just seems odd!

I will end by saying thank you. Thank you for being my son. I am very very proud of you and can't wait to see you grow up and fashion yourself into your own person, and ultimately, grow, live and enjoy the world that your mum and I brought you in to.

I love you, Luke.

Daddy