Wednesday 24 December 2008

There goes my cherry

So - this is it. My blogging cherry is well and truly popped.

Like most people, I've been reading blogs for the last few years. Some are pretty throwaway, others I have become more engrossed in. I feel like I have gotten to know a mancunian lesbian who blogs about every aspect of her life, most recently including the break up of her long term relationship. I really feel for her.

I have bookmarked another blog called PostSecret. I urge you to do the same. One read through the weekly updated scans of anonymous postcards will have you hooked, or will at very least make you stop and think.

A blog needs a purpose. The purpose of mine is to sound off. I work odd shifts, and my wife mostly works opposite shifts to mine, so there are times when I don't have anyone to sound off to. That is about to change.

A lot of people know me, but not very many of them at all actually know me. A few do, I admit that, but I am essentially a very private person who doesn't like to give too much away. I don't really know why - maybe it's a fear of being mocked or ridiculed for my thoughts and feelings. I'm shy, you see. But the majority of the people mentioned above who "know me", don't know that.

It's Christmas eve 2008. My wife and 1 year old son are in bed as they are unwell. Always seems to be the same at this time of year. I have 4 other children from my 1st marriage. They are spending Christmas day with their mother, but will be with us for New Years Eve. Sacrifices have to be made.

Tomorrow, we travel south to spend the day (and over-night) with my wife's family. My father-in-law has had a rough time of things recently, having been diagnosed with cancer. I am not going to go into details on here about it, but, thankfully, he'll be at home with us tomorrow.

If there ever is such a thing as a regular reader of this, you will become used to me flitting and changing subject regularly and with no particular direction. I think that that accurately reflects what goes on inside my head!

I went shopping a couple of days ago to ensure plentiful supplies of food and drink over Christmas. Only today did I realised that I hadn't got any champagne or smoked salmon for Christmas morning. It's a little extravagant, I know, but - it's once a year and it really is a lovely way to start a very special day. It sets you up just nicely for all the wonderful things that are to follow. Anyway, I ventured to my local ASDA Wal-Mart (it's a biggun) at lunchtime, and.... it was ok! They didn't have any smoked salmon, which was disappointing, but I got the champagne. Give them their due, they had every single checkout manned, and I even found an empty one! I could hardly believe it.

I've just entered a competition on TV to win over £26,000 worth of "gadgets". It has cost me £1.50, but I can totally justify that in my head. I never ever enter these things, but I am a firm believer in the fact that someone has to win!

For now, I will leave it there. I wish you and yours all the best for Christmas.