Monday 11 October 2010

Wow

Hello.

I was thinking - should I start these posts with a Dear Diary kind of thing?  Maybe I will in future.

Anyway - we're back from our hols and what an ace time we had!  Gran Canaria was the last of the Canary Islands that I had to visit and it's just as lovely as the others (with Fuerteventura being the exception*).  We stayed a few miles away from the famous sand dunes at Maspalomas.  They are literally breathtakingly stunning.  It was one of those times when you have to doff your cap to nature and look in awe.

Maspalomas beach is famous for the dunes - and the nudity.  As you enter the beach from Maspalomas, the first few hundred metres are full of the usual beach types. Men in shorts and women in bikini's (some topless, but nothing unusual there).  However, venture down the beach a little and if you don't notice the sign telling you that you are entering the nudist area, you will eventually realise that nobody has got any clothes on!   Now - nudist area might conjure up images of a small section of beach with a few nudies in it - not so.  The beach is as busy, if not busier in the nudist area.

So - when in Rome and all that.  I whipped my t-shirt and shorts off and we continued to walk down the beach front with me all naked!  It was the first time I'd been in that situation and all I could say was how liberating and completely natural it felt.  Many people associate nudity with sex, and that is the big mistake.  It just isn't like that at all.  It's just so natural, relaxing, comfortable, and other words like that.  Whilst, of course, you do look (or notice) the boobs, bums and genitalia, you become very aware that it's not about the body beautiful - it's just about the body natural.  Everyone has parts of their body that they're not happy with, and none of that matters because you're not "on parade", which brings me back to it not being sexual.

Ok - rant over...a short walk further and you notice that the nudey people are now predominately men.  The area has a very large gay scene and this is where they (quite literally) hang out during the day!  After a while we turned back to walk back towards Maspalomas.  The beach does lead round to our resort, but it's a bloody long way!

I thoroughly enjoyed my first beach nude experience, and hope I'll have further opportunities to do it again in the future.

One other thing that I was very very impressed / proud of, was that Luke didn't once comment on the fact that everyone was naked.  That goes to show me that he doesn't see nudity as anything unusual, and I'm pleased with his outlook in that respect.

Ok - I'm going to finish my drink and go to bed.  Nighty night!


*  I LOVE Fuerteventura and I'd be quite happy to holiday there for a good few years to come!