Thursday 12 November 2009

Mission Complete

Hello there reader

Firstly, allow me to apologise for the gap betwixt blog entries.  I have stuff to say, that is a certainty, but for whatever reason, I just haven't came on here to say it.

Ok, as promised, here are some "snaps" of the newly decorated dining room.



We actually chose a different wallpaper initially, but my lovely wife had the sense to ditch it in favour of this floral number.


Those bloody walls took 4, maybe 5 coats of while emulsion to hide the BLUE paint that I discovered once I'd torn the old wallpaper down.  Thanks for that, Mick.




That smashing little boy that seems to live with us likes it, anyway.


I shall digress from happy things to things with have a) saddened, b) enraged, and c) made me feel melancholic.

a) Saddened

We had my children stay with us last weekend and it was ace.  I love how at ease they are when they're here and I love seeing how much they love Luke.  They really do adore him, and him them.  My lovely wife even gets the odd hug or two!  I took them back to Liverpool-on-sea on Sunday afternoon, the 8th November, and they will not be with us again until Friday 4th December.  That saddens me.  My shift pattern dictates that I am working every single weekend in November, and since I can only see the children at weekends, then I have to take the hit. Whilst planning dates for next year, now I know what the score is, I shall plan more wisely, and endeavour to get them here at least a couple of times per month.

b) Enraged

It was initially reported in the media at the beginning of October, but now that a sentence has been passed, it's back in the spotlight once again.

A 16year old boy raped a 7 year old.  His punishment?  A community rehabilitation order.  The child's parents are devout Christians and were able to somehow forgive him.  Judge Adrian Smith took this into consideration and dished out the most disgraceful "punishment" for the most disgusting crime.

So - 8 days later, armed with his rehabilitation order, he kidnapped and raped a 5 year old boy.  It makes me feel sick to the pit of my stomach that this rapist was allowed to walk the streets and 8 days later, did it again.  So the 7 year old boys parents were able to forgive him - well done to them.  Surely, knowing that such a heinous crime had been committed, he HAD to serve some sort of custodial sentence to "rehabilitate" him.

Everything is ok now, though. He has now been sentenced to serve a minimum of 3 years.  3 years and 4 months to be precise, but he'll be eligible for parole after 3 years as he's been under lock and key for the last 4 months.  The judge who presided over the 16 year old's 2nd rape trial also revoked the community rehabilitation order and sentenced him to ... 3 years and 4 months (to run concurrently) for the rape of the 7 year old.  Just to end my enraged section - he raped a 7 year old AND a 5 year old and will spend 3 years behind bars.  This country's judicial system is fucked.

c) Melancholy

I noticed on Facebook this morning that my one time best friend, Danny, recently got married in Cuba.  My earliest memory of Danny is us crashing into each other on our push bikes in 1980.  We both ran off in tears, only to be reunited a few minutes later by our mums demanding we each apologise to the other.

From there on, for the next 15 years, we were inseparable.  We met a few years ago for the first time in several years, at my nephews' christening.  He'd changed so much.  He used to have this hard exterior, but underneath was a funny lad who enjoyed a laugh.  He seemed like someone I used to know vaguely, which is a shame. I wish him well in his marriage, I am certain it'll last. They got together when we were still friends, back in (I think) 1992.

When my dad died in 1998, I was told my a female police officer whilst sat in the back of her car, parked outside my dad's house.  I felt completely numb.  I remember thanking her for telling me.  I then got out of the car, and wandered round the estate where dad lived.  Danny and (his now wife) Joanne, lived on the same estate. I went to their house, knocked, and Danny answered. I told him what had happened, and completely broke down on his doorstep. He hugged me for ages, then made me a cup of tea. I'm now trying to understand why I did that - why I went to his house.  We hadn't been close friends for some years at that point.  He was there for me as a friend when mum died 11 years earlier.  Continuity?  I don't know.

I have just read this last paragraph back and it is so typically me.  It's like I cling on to the past, and never look around me and enjoy what I have now.  I just learned something new about me.

Right - time for me to get a grip.  Myself, my beautiful wife, and my chatty son are flying out to Fuerteventura on Saturday and I am well excited.  I can't wait to spend loads of family time with them. I almost typed "relaxing" then, but I'm sure it won't be.  I am looking forward to spending busy days in the pool or on the beach (Luke really must overcome his irrational fear of sand), then relaxing in our apartment during the evenings.

So I'll be back in a week or so, hopefully, with some more snaps!

T'ra a bit.