Friday 30 October 2009

Almost There Dear

Greetings

Another work one, this.  Always makes me nervous, but I'm in a bloggy mood, so here we go!

I am missing all my people. My lovely wife and youngest son, are enjoying their second night at her mum's, whilst I work my last night.   I will see them tomorrow and that makes me happy.  My other four children seem so very very far away, and it's making me sad.

They stayed with us last weekend and I really enjoyed the time we had together. We even managed to have an extra bonus day, which was lovely.  After they'd gone, I was in the playroom, and I found Charlotte's (youngest daughter) calendar.  She writes all sorts of stuff on it, about friend's she's going to see, or TV shows that she wants to watch.  On the 1st October, the entry said "I miss my dad".  It felt like she'd reached into my chest and pulled my heart right out.  I won't lie - my eyes welled up. 

This morning, towards the end of my nigth shift, Abbey appeared online and started talking to me.  It was lovely to have 40 mins chatting away about insignificant things with her.  Then this evening, Robert did the same.  He told me he broke his nose yesterday by falling over in the living room and hitting a TV stand.  I never know if they really have suffered bad injuries, knowing how their mum likes to exagerate and dramatise situations.  Either way - I hope he feels better soon.

I am going to try and get the painting of the dining room finished during my 48 hours off work that I have this weekend.  There's a lot to do, but I reckon if left to it, i'll be reet.

I spent a while "chatting" with a girl called Claire during the night.  She writes a blog called "A Little Piece Of Me".  I've followed it for the last year or so and it celebrates it's third birthday today.  She's a fellow scouser and a fellow blue, too!  Her blog has been an inspiration to me, and I heartily recommend taking 10 mins to read through it.  http://crpitt.blogspot.com/

I spent a while during the week, flattening my laptop and installing Ubuntu (again).  I gave it more time this time. Still, I'm going back to Windows yet again.  Ubuntu is so so so close to being perfect, but the complete lack of decent iTunes support and synchronisation left me wanting.  There IS iTunes support, but it's basic.  I spent bloody ages creating an "on the go" playlist on my ipod.  In iTunes, when I next synced the pod to the laptop, the on the go playlist would sync back onto the laptop.  Using Songbird (the best of the bunch of media players with itunes support), it just lost the list completely.  I've said before, In this age of technology, I shouldn't have to make sacrifices, and that is what I'll end up doing if I stay with Ubuntu. 

Sorry Mr Gates - please can I come back in?