Saturday 27 June 2009

Why?

Well, what a week.

The last 7 days have been some of the most difficult and challenging I should ever wish to endure. My truly excellent father-in-law passed away on Wednesday, after losing his battle against the evil that is cancer.

7 days ago (almost to the minute), my lovely wife and I were sat at some really good friends of ours in Wigan, enjoying a pizza and a beer. My wife then received a phone call from her mum saying that she had been unable to wake her dad and an ambulance was on it's way. We'd both had a drink (which was an entirely reasonable thing to do as we'd walked the 15 minute journey to our friends), so neither could drive the 37 miles to my parents-in-law.

My wife's friend, whom we were visiting, hadn't drank, so very kindly offered to drive my wife there. I rode shotgun so I could navigate her back to Wigan. I followed the next morning.

My wife, mother-in-law, and sister-in-law spent every minute between that Saturday night, and late Wednesday morning when he sadly passed away, with him.

He was a very special man. Not only for being responsible for two beautiful daughters, but because of his integrity, honesty and sense of fair play. People like him don't come along every day, and I am proud to not only have known him, but to be known as his son-in-law.

As well as that devastating news, something else occurred this week that would have made Keith very proud. My son spent his first couple of days with his childminder. My lovely wife and I thought it was very important to make sure that Luke attended as arranged, and that his routine should be disrupted as little as possible.

Luke did his grandad proud. On his first day (in a cruel twist of fate, it was Wednesday), Helen (his childminder) opened the door, and in he trotted without even looking back. I bid my farewells, and left him there for 4 1/2 hours. He was absolutely fine when I picked him up. Day two, I thought, would be more of a challenge. But no, in he trotted without looking back again. Excellent! Well done, son!

My mother in law has received dozens and dozens of cards. I think I'm right in saying that it is easily over 100. Every day that comes, brings another knock on the door by the postman, with a handful of cards. He's given up posting them because it is taking too long!

The funeral is one week on Monday and that is going to be a very emotional day for all involved. I hope and pray that his wife, daughters and all of us who cared about him have the strength to let the day pass in a way that would make him happy.

You asked me to look after Debbie and Luke, and Keith, rest assured mate, I will. Take it easy up there, make sure you get yourself into the quiz leagues. Oh, I hope you enjoy meeting my mum and sharing a pint and a chat with my Dad.

I'll miss you.